The maker community is less than a week away from crunch time. We need to start cranking out those gifts in between planning and shopping and taking care of everyone. So here is one more pattern for you to make a gift.
As I created my school themed stocking series, I pulled out some black, white, and brown yarn and started to make a chalkboard. As I designed this stocking, my kids were excited to see what I would make next. I got about five rows into this one when they asked what I was making. I told them it was a chalkboard. They then said they don’t belong in school, just in houses. This then prompted a discussion that there use to be boards in classrooms just like the chalkboard on their easel. I then realized my stockings should be topical. So I designed a smartboard.
6 ¾” X 12”
Worsted Weight Yarn
Size H hook (5.0 mm)
Size 4.5 mm hook
16 hdc X 14 rows = 4”
20 hdc fphdc X 17 rows= 4”
Hdc – half double crochet
Fphdc – front post half double crochet
Bphdc – back post half double crochet
St(s) – stitch(es)
Ch – chain
Sl st – slip stitch
- You will need to make a small ball of grey and have a bigger one. You will not need to fasten off while changing colors. You will carry them throughout your work.
- Your work will start to appear uneven, but you will even it out during the last three rows of the stocking.
Let’s Get Started!
Using grey, ch 31
- 2 hdc in 3rd ch from the hook, hdc across until 1 ch remains, 3 hdc in last ch, hdc across, ch 2 turn (60 sts)
2-3. Hdc acround, ch 2, turn (60 sts)
4. hdc 5 grey, using white hdc 23, using grey hdc 32, ch 2, turn (60 sts)
5. Using grey hdc 32, using white bphdc 23, (attach a second ball of grey here only on row 5) using grey hdc 5, ch 2 turn (60sts)
6. Using grey hdc 5, using white, fphdc 23, using grey hdc 32, ch turn (60 sts)
7-40. repeat rows 5 and 6
41. repeat row 5
42. You will use grey and a 4.5 mm hook for the rest of the stocking. Sc 5, dc 23, sc 32, ch 2 turn (60 sts)
43. sc 32, dc 23, sc 5, ch 2 turn (60 sts)
44. sc 5, dc 23, sc 32 (60 sts) fasten off
|Figure 2. This is a photo of the number sewn on.|
|Figure 2. This is a photo of a number that is sewn on.|
Smartboard Pens (Make three. For the colored part, use red for one, green for one, and blue for the last.
Using grey, Ch 10
- Sc in second ch from the hook, sc across, ch 1 turn (9 sts)
- Sc across, ch 1, turn (9 sts)
3 – 6. Repeat row 2
7. sc around the side of the rectangle (ends of the rows), sl st to first st made this round. Fasten off leaving about 3 feet to finish this pen.
8. Sew down the side (you are attatching the chains to the last sc row)
9. sl st onto the end of the pen using one of the three colors, single crochet around, place the grey yarn in the center of colored section, using the colored yarn sl st to beginning st, fasten off the colored yarn.
10. sc dec around, sl st to beginning, Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Attaching the pens to the board
Sl st grey yarn onto the end of one the smartboard pens, ch 10, sl st to next smartboard pen, ch 10, sl st to last smartboard pen, ch 10, attach toward the top of the stocking neaer the corner of the white screen.
- Sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc across (4 sts)
- Ch 1, turn, sc across (4 sts)
3 – 27. Ch1, turn, sc across (4 sts)
Fasten off leaving a long enough tail to sew the loop on the inside of the stocking.
Place both sides of the ruler so the good sides are facing each other. Starting at the top of the ruler, sew down the long side, short side, and then the second long side. Weave in ends. Turn right side out so you can attach the loop.
Fold the loop in half and sew it to the corner top of the stocking on the inside.
When you are done, feel free to share your finished work on Instagram using #llamaunraveled. You are welcome to sell completed projects, but please link back to my site. Please do not copy my pattern, do not redistribute my pattern, do not claim it as your own, and do not publish it anywhere.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me.